[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

No Subject

>From c.flink Fri Dec 15 10:06:21 0500 1995 remote from att.com
>From: Chuck Flink <c.flink@att.com>
To: 'Adam Shostack' <adam@bwh.harvard.edu>, Michael Kerr
	 <mkerr@largnet.uwo.ca>
Cc: "jm@circle-slide.indianapolis.sgi.com"
	 <jm@circle-slide.indianapolis.sgi.com>, "www-security@ns2.rutgers.edu" <www-security@ns2.rutgers.edu>
Subject: RE: your mail
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 10:06:21 -0500

More importantly, users WON'T turn off Java.  Animation and "cool
graphics" are all part of the WWW addiction.  The answer is not
going to be found in telling users "don't do anything risky".  We
need to engineer systems that help assure accountability.  We then
need laws that hold people accountable.  (I'm thinking of the
digital signatures on Telescript scripts that (theoretically) ID
the source (and verify the integrity) of the script.  The script
won't run unless verified and the source identified as trustworthy.
Then, of course, the laws come into effect.... if the Trojan Horse
was planted in such a way that the "source" didn't realize what
was being "signed".... and who decides what "trustworthy" means....
and who can sue who for how much.... and this requires a lot of
legal groundwork that has yet to be started.)

-Chuck